Gun Foundry in Hyderabad
Source: AP MUSEUMS
Debris Clearance work at Gunfoundry Monument
Gunfoundry is located in a lane opposite to the Jamia Masjid Aliya, and can be approached by the side lane of Lepakshi Government Handicrafts Emporium. In fact, the whole locality is known as Gunfoundry, where the Head Office Building of State Bank of Hyderabad ( a landmark inaugurated by the President of India in 1955 ) and the Department of Archaeology & Museums are located on the main road in the same line.
Gunfoundry is one of the several cannon and cannon-ball factories set up in 1786 by French General, Monsieur Raymond who was in the service of Nawab Mir Nizam Ali Khan, the 2nd Nizam of Hyderabad.�� Incidentally, this is the only structure of surviving foundry established in the 18th century in the whole of Hyderabad city.
In 19th century, Roman Catholic Cathedral on the main Secunderabad Road was also constructed in Gunfoundry locality.�� Even before 100 years the ruins of a number of other foundaries were seen on the road to Mir Alam Tank and on the Bangalore road. Malcolm, a renowned historian, in his well-known book History of India, referred to these foundaries in 1798 as places in which � they cast excellent cannon and made serviceable muskets
As seen in a photograph published in Glimpses of Nizams Dominion in 1895, the height of the brick walls of Gunfoundry is approximately 50 feet with a tapered portion commencing above 25 feet height. It can be said that due to negligence and poor maintenance, the original height of the tapered walls have come down to 25 to 30 feet. The lower portion was plastered with lime.�� The shape of the bricks used in the construction of Gunfoundry is square with less thickness. The binding material used is lime mortar. The wall surfaces have been pointed with lime mortar on the exterior and interior sides of the foundary.We find here and there that the walls have been given joints of square iron rods. In the lower portions, brick arches are made in semi circular shape, where the furnaces, melting of iron casting of cannons, muskets etc.� were carried out in most scientific manner under the supervision of General Monsieur Raymond.