The south fort and the old gun
The southern fort stands on the top of a bluff crag at the south end of the same range as the northern one. The fort has an inner and outer line of works. The works were chiefly curtains 10 to 20 feet high defended by bastions holding ordance. The inner line of works was higher than the northern fort and commanded both that fort and the town. These have been partially destroyed. The fort and a little level space and a poor water supply from a small cister. The only object of interest in the fort is an old English cannon dated 8.2.1925 which is 6’101/2” long. There is an inscription dated 1543 A.D. in cae No. III at Badami recording abhayaion of a bastion on the southern fort just above the caves, by the abhaya king Sadasivaraya.